Firmware recovery (manual vs automatic)

A place to discuss all topics that do not meet the rest of the conference

Moderators: Roman_TS, Maxim_TS

dobrevjetser
New user

Re: Firmware recovery (manual vs automatic)

Postby dobrevjetser » 07.05.09, 17:27

I've got here a ZX80 and a ZX81; also an ST1040, apple II and a CBM64. :mrgreen:

Dobre

Arthur

Postby Arthur » 07.05.09, 17:55

Anyone here remeber the old Cortex PP95 computer? It had a Texas Instruments TMS9995 CPU. There was a multiuser OS (NOS) available for that, and multiple RS232 terminal connections was possible. Almost like a minicomputer from the stoneage ..

We also aligned r/w heads on floppy drives. There was a special program for CBM64 doing this. I wish align heads on WD drives was that simple. :)

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 07.05.09, 17:58

We are far from those days 8)

Dobre

aviko

Postby aviko » 12.05.09, 06:39

Heh, Its becoming a little OT but do you guys remember tapes? Mmmmmmm, that neverending r/w head adjustment, most of us had simple home casette player, dedicated as in atari or commodore with a counter was a luxury :) And there hoooooours of loading on atari and at the almost end boot error hehe.
I remember there was many part of Horrac for spectrum and that rubber keyboard :) I dont know how you guys but all my joysticks were self made :) First joystick which i buy was pad with playstation :)

and about topic, I think that ACE Team shouldnt waste time for making super-mega-utility which could do all for us. Its impossible. Better ACE developers work on support for new drives and on solutions (but please, not only automatic!!@#$%) for common issues for example weird reading problems on new WD.
Who does not know anything, must believe in everything

poehere
New user

Postby poehere » 14.05.09, 01:58

My first one was not pre built. You had to draw the specs youself Get all the chips and make your own bus and tag cables and wire them together. After you make a box so that you could attach it to the board and program the chips and write your own code so the clock would funciton correctly and enter into the mother board and work. After each program had to be written and stored on 8" floppy drives so that you could access your system. This was before printed circuit boards were made and then you could soilder your chips in place and go from there. These are old hard wire boards where you need to know what each pins configuration is and where you need to wire it and to how many pins and leads you need to place it to. Now those are the good old days where it take you 3 to 6 months to hard wire you board together in order to make it work and then write the programs to program all rom, ram, clock and other chips needed to run the board with including processor to make it function correctly.

peter.best

Postby peter.best » 30.03.24, 09:12

A useful decision- making question: Good, Quick, -.
Pick any two. Only two.

Return to “Discussion club”