Western Digital CPU

Moderator: Maxim_TS

Hddex

Western Digital CPU

Postby Hddex » 04.11.22, 18:02

We have a pretty damaged patient Western Digital SpyGlass 2 PCB board 2060-800067-001 REV P1 and luckily the ROM was salvageable. We have a combatable donor PCB and I was wondering if the CPU from the patient PCB needs to be moved to the donor PCB as well. I was told to that the CPU also has an encryption not only on the ROM but also on the CPU. Can anyone confirm this?
Attachments
PCB .jpg
Original PCB
PCB .jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

northwind
New user

Re: Western Digital CPU

Postby northwind » 05.11.22, 11:16

Yes, SG2 encrypts via its MCU, so changing a PCB will not help you.
Your best bet would be to repair the original PCB if possible.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 08.11.22, 12:21

northwind wrote:Source of the post repair the original PCB if possible.

The top left corner of the PCB looks pretty well baked, so I doubt repair will be easy/possible. Definitely looks likes some pads ripped off where the ROM once was. They'll be fortunate if the MCU even survived all that heat.

northwind
New user

Postby northwind » 08.11.22, 16:20

DataMedics wrote:The top left corner of the PCB looks pretty well baked, so I doubt repair will be easy/possible. Definitely looks likes some pads ripped off where the ROM once was. They'll be fortunate if the MCU even survived all that heat.

You're right, I missed that (actually I didn't even open the picture). My bad.

mojimorady
New user

Postby mojimorady » 24.02.23, 15:27

isn't it possible to replace to the faulty USB PCB with a Compatible Unlocked SATA one ??

if it is possible please let us know .

best regards
Mojtaba Morady
Data Recovery Expert
Data Recovery Eng. at CSSI

JGRivers

Postby JGRivers » 20.10.23, 23:38

Generally, it will be easier to repair the original PCB whenever possible. When you've got a PCB that is beyond possible repairs, the only way to access the user data on the drive would be to transfer both the original ROM and the CPU. The CPU migration is a much more difficult procedure. I would not recommend attempting to do this on a patient drive. Practice on other drives until you can successfully transfer both ROM and CPU and the drive both spins up and reads unencrypted data.

Return to “WD USB”