Is 'Refresh' still working in DE? Trouble reading MFT map after failing the first time

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Alex_TS

ThomasH
New user

Is 'Refresh' still working in DE? Trouble reading MFT map after failing the first time

Postby ThomasH » 11.05.22, 00:06

I've had too many instances recently where if the customer drive wasn't stable-enough to read the MFT Map the first time, that even after fixing and choosing "Refresh", it still won't read the MFT markers (or whatever is necessary) that allow to make a map of the MFT or do a data analysis and Scan MFT.
However, if a new DE task is started after the repairs, (and sometimes without even doing repairs... just retrying from scratch), it will read the MFT just fine, so that the MFT map can be cloned, and Scan MFT+INDX is an option.
In the past, it always seemed that just clicking "Refresh" would open up the Scan MFT options after repairs within the DE project. Now it never seems to unless starting fresh.

Anyone else facing this issue recently... in the last 2 updates of DE?
Is there some other way to try to get DE to search again for MFT info?
See Pics of the greyed out options.
Attachments
DE Data Analysis Scan MFT grey.jpg
DE Data Analysis Scan MFT grey.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 219 times
DE Maps options greyed out MFT.jpg
DE Maps options greyed out MFT.jpg (7.23 KiB) Viewed 219 times

digitalsupport
New user

Re: Is 'Refresh' still working in DE? Trouble reading MFT map after failing the first time

Postby digitalsupport » 12.05.22, 07:56

Probably you need to un check "skip sectors on reading errors" DE will not try to read sectors with errors again at refresh.

ThomasH
New user

Re: Is 'Refresh' still working in DE? Trouble reading MFT map after failing the first time

Postby ThomasH » 24.06.22, 07:48

digitalsupport wrote:Source of the post Probably you need to un check "skip sectors on reading errors" DE will not try to read sectors with errors again at refresh.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was one of the first things I checked. It's unrelated to how that box is ticked, although it would seem related to the issue. The sectors are actually reading properly when tried via regular cloning, but the 'DE Browse/Explorer' feature is not refreshing the new successful reads to the file tree (is my best generic guess / explanation).
I'm very surprised nobody else seems to be complaining about or have this issue...

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 24.06.22, 21:00

This may be completely unrelated, but do you image to HDD or Image File/VHD? I've heard of stat/map issues when imaging to Image File (after imaging a map, some sectors are still unread). I've not noticed your issue, or the stats issue, but I only image to HDDs.

Return to “Data Extractor”